17 Jan 5 Steps To Consider For Your Employee Portal Solution
An employee portal is a modern intranet. It offers links to information that is directly relevant to those working in the organization. An employee portal is a secure site where you can easily share and discuss information within your company or organization, and keep all your staff on the same page.
Selecting your employee portal solution is a decision that requires close attention to both the product and the company delivering the solution. This decision will impact each of your employee; therefore, it is important that you make the right decision the FIRST time around. Re-populating a new portal and retraining your staff after a poor experience is a recipe for disappointment and frustration. In order to be well prepared follow the 5 key considerations before choosing your employee portal solution.
1. Make sure the solution streamlines your corporate communications! IT shouldn’t be the only department in charge of managing simple tools such as announcements, calendars, sign-up events and discussion boards. These tools need to be easy to create and maintain for and by all your staff. These tools help organize information from various departments including FAQs, documents, forms, and contact details. Make sure your solutions provider is able to meet this basic requirement.
2. Your employee portal should help reinforce key initiatives that address your company’s mission and vision. Functionality sets such as performance dashboards should be aligned with the company’s strategic plan to track short term and long term progress. Your portal should give you the ability to breakdown channels into departments and project levels. The overall portal needs to ensure that your goals are well communicated internally and understood by all departments and employees at all levels.
3. Centralized publishing is an old school medium. Not only does this prevent efficiency it also puts a lot of burden on the IT department which prevents them from focusing on other projects. Your portal provider should have the ability to allow every department to easily create and update information in a timely fashion. This creates a search driven self-service environment which promotes efficiency.
4. Organizations exist because they serve a customer need through product or service. When employees have all the relevant information at their fingertips they can then easily deliver this information to their customers in an efficient and immediate manner. A search tab which captures relevant product or service information is now becoming a norm and should be available through your portal provider. This search tab should also be available for project work in different departmental channels in order to easily find all files and documents to complete projects.
5. Your portal should have instant messaging where users can connect to other topic experts and product specialist within the company. The search capability requires searchable employee profiles and the ability to instant message experts immediately to ensure improved efficiency in customer service and exception handling.
We you find these considerations helpful in selecting the right solution for your organization.